Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 01:21:45
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7484)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Corey Taylor talks solo album, rails against AI as threat to 'ingenuity in our souls'
- 'Young people are freaked out': Weekend climate change protests planned around US, globe
- They worked for years in Libya. Now an Egyptian village mourns scores of its men killed in flooding
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- A new Iran deal shows the Biden administration is willing to pay a big price to free Americans
- 'Dr. Google' meets its match in Dr. ChatGPT
- See Sofía Vergara's transformation into Griselda Blanco for new Netflix series: Photos
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Huluween and Disney+’s Hallowstream Will Get Every Witch Ready for the Spooky Season With These Premieres
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Biden sending aides to Detroit to address autoworkers strike, says ‘record profits’ should be shared
- Hawaii officials say DNA tests drop Maui fire death count to 97
- California targets smash-and-grabs with $267 million program aimed at ‘brazen’ store thefts
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Britney Spears’ Sons Jayden and Sean Federline Hit New Milestones
- Officials in North Carolina deny Christmas parade permit after girl’s death during last year’s event
- 90 Day Fiancé's Yara Zaya Breaks Down in Tears Over Her Body Insecurities
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Hurricane Lee live updates: Millions in New England under storm warnings as landfall looms
Beer flows and crowds descend on Munich for the official start of Oktoberfest
How to launder $600 million on the internet
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Commercial fishing vessel runs aground on Southern California’s Catalina Island
Wagner Group designated as terrorist organization by UK officials
Luxury cruise ship that ran aground in Greenland with over 200 people on board is freed